Twitter is an excellent place to promote yourself due to its reach and real-time nature, but it is by no means easy. Here is a quick guide that will help you build your presence better on the platform and leverage it to attract more people to your account.
Build your brand the right way
Having a recognizable brand on Twitter is the first step to stand out from the numerous other accounts targeting the same audience. This starts with having the right profile. Think about what message you want to convey to your audience and emphasize this in different parts of your profile, like your:
- Profile picture: Choose an image that clearly displays your face for your profile pic.
- Cover photo: Use your account’s cover photo as a larger canvas to highlight your brand message or activities.
- Bio: Don’t just list details about you, be more personal in writing your bio. Humor is an effective way to convey that.
- Profile links: Lead people to your website or other pages to help them better know you and your brand message.
Experiment with different profile content to find out which ones bests attract the attention of your audience. It is also a good idea to update your profile information regularly to get your audience interested in checking it out.
Create the right tweets
Your personal branding also extends to the kind of tweets you make. Focus on the topics that your specific audience is most interested in. If your account is all about gaming, make sure that you are updated with the latest in the industry. Add more value to your tweets by providing your own insights about your niche.
Adding visuals to your tweets also helps draw the interest of your readers. Don’t just limit yourself to images and post videos frequently. The latter can increase the replies that you receive by as much as 2.5 times. Red Bull is well-known for its heavy use of videos in their tweets, which has helped increase their following.
It also helps to explore other creative ways of using visual content in your tweets, like using:
- Infographics: Infographics are an effective way of presenting more information than you can fit on a regular tweet.
- Templates: If you plan on creating several similar images, a template would be helpful. You can also use that template for branding purposes.
- Evergreen content: Attaching a new image or video to your old tweet is a good way to resurface and get more engagements from it.
- Calls to action: Placing the call to action on your tweet image makes it more noticeable, increasing the likelihood that your followers respond to it.
All of these ways make your tweets more shareable, increasing your content’s reach.
Interact with your audience
More than on any platform, people expect you to respond to them on Twitter. Make it a habit to do so frequently. You will also want to make your Twitter page’s tone more conversational. This works well in inviting your audience to start that conversation in the first place.
You can also go the other way around and kick off the conversation yourself. Ask your audience questions and respond to their answers to keep the discussions going.
You can also retweet their content as a conversation starter. @Tag the poster in your tweet to grab their attention.
Making these conversations more meaningful to the audience is another goal you would want to accomplish. One way to do that is by using Twitter for customer support. Create a separate account where you can take in customer questions and respond. You can also use this opportunity to guide them to your external content, like articles they might need.
Take advantage of Twitter ads
Contrary to what some might think, Twitter ads are not just limited to big name brands and companies. You can also take advantage of these tools to boost the reach of your tweets and ensure that they will be seen by your target audience.
Promoted tweets are the ad type you will likely use most often, and they work well for making announcements over the platform. When using this type, make sure that you clearly define the audience you want to target. Ensure that you send out these promoted tweets at the right frequency to not make them look spammy and deter that audience from reading.
Doing these tactics will give you a good start in building your Twitter presence, but don’t think that they are the end of it. Explore other techniques that you can add to your Twitter marketing strategy and watch your page gain even more followers.